Thursday, December 15, 2016

VETERAN ARTISTE’S FIRST PUBLIC PERFORMANCE AFTER STROKE



  MALAYMAIL

By Tony Mariadass
tonym@mmail.com.my

PETALING JAYA — Veteran singer Datuk Dahlan Zainuddin, who is recovering from a stroke he sustained in July, sprang a surprise when he took to the mike at the Ulu Kelang Recreation Club (UKRC) on Dec 3.
The 76-year-old and his wife, fellow singer Datin Effa Rizan, attended a fellowship night organised by the club to pay tribute to Dahlan for his contribution. It was also a time of get-together for participants of the just-concluded 14th UKRC International Nines football tournament.
Prior to his stroke, Dahlan played regularly for the club’s veteran team.
Touched by the warmth of the members and guests, the couple performed joget numbers, Joget Kaki Lima andJangan Sampai Kehancuran. The crowd responded with a standing ovation.
Dahlan, inspired by their gesture, went on to belt a famous hit from his 1975 debut album, Kisah Seorang Biduan.
At the end of the song, Dahlan said: “The camaraderie here moves me. I don’t know many of you, including some from overseas. But this is the fellowship found in this club.
“I have not tried singing since the stroke, but tonight, all of you moved me to sing. And I think I did reasonably well, thanks to my wife, too.
“Tonight’s impromptu performance has given me the confidence to come back to the stage again and hopefully, I will get better and be able to give a better performance.”
In his heyday, Dahlan was either a formidable forward or a creative midfielder. He first represented Selangor Indian Association in the Selangor League before turning out for Starlight Club, Chui Lok, Belia Sinaran, Mara and UKRC veteran’s team.
UKRC president Andrew Gopal said he was surprised that Dahlan accepted their invitation as he hardly went out or attended functions after his stroke.
“We were pleasantly surprised when Dahlan’s wife called to say they were coming,” said Andrew.
“We were even more surprised when he said he wanted to sing when we called him to the stage to receive a memento from
the club.”
The guests passed the hat around and collected almost RM2,000 to assist Dahlan for his medical expenses.
This moved Dahlan to tears as he thanked everyone for their care and generosity.
“I am touched and I thank each and everyone of you,” he said.
“When I decided to come for the fellowship tonight, I just wanted to meet up with my old friends and support the football tournament. It is still being organised despite the field having been taken away from the club.
“I hope their long-drawn battle to get back the field will be successful soon.”
The 14th UKRC International Nines football tournament was held at Stadium Setiawangsa. Kwarta FC from Medan, Indonesia won the tournament for the third consecutive time time beating HTC from Cambodia 4-1 in the final.





No comments: