Thursday, December 25, 1997

You cowards! (The Malay Mail)


IT is a blue Christmas for Pahang skipper Zsolt Bucs in Budapest today.
Bucs, 34, is upset with comments that he does not deserve the Man-of-
the-Match award given to him in the Malaysia Cup final last Saturday.
He is also unhappy about allegations that he did not give his best in
several matches this season, including the final against Selangor.
A player and an official told Mailsport on Monday that it was no
surprise the Pahang management had decided to drop Bucs for next season
because of his indifference in several matches including the final.
Bucs, contacted in Budapest on Christmas eve, was highly upset with
developments here after he had left for home with his family and fellow
Hugarian Istvan Borsos on Monday morning.
"I challenge the player and the official who accused me of pulling
punches in several matches to identify themselves," said Bucs.
"I am really disappointed such reports have come out after I have left
the country.
"Why didn't they say it to my face when I was in Malaysia or even after
the Malaysia Cup final.
"It is an act of cowardice. They are just looking for excuses for Pahang
failing to win the Malaysia Cup."
Bucs said he has no qualms about the Pahang FA's decision regarding his
continued stay with them.
"Maybe they should have been professional enough and informed me of
their decision, but otherwise I accept their decision," said Bucs.
"Pahang were just an average team but every one of us worked very hard
to reach the Malaysia Cup final.
"I did not ask for the award. It was the sportwriters who felt I
deserved it and I was honoured to receive it.
"But I would gladly trade it for the Malaysia Cup winners' medal.

Professional
"If I had pulled punches in the final, Selangor would have run rings
around us, especially when we were reduced to 10 men in the 47th minute
after Khairulniza (Mustafa) was sent off.
"I am a professional and I give my best in every match but even the
world's greatest player cannot perform consistently well in every match.
"I may have had my off off days but I gave my all in the final.
"If we had won, I am sure there would have been no such allegations.
"I am disappointed no one from the Pahang FA informed me officially of
my future but I did not let it affect my performance because I am a
professional."
Bucs can take heart that Pahang coach Jorgen Larsen and manager Datuk Dr
Yusof Ali came out in support of him in yesterday's Mailsport.
However, both said that news of his contract not being renewed had
affected Bucs.
"Even if Pahang do not want my services, I would still want to continue
playing in Malaysia.
"Negative and untrue reports will hurt my cause.
"I hope those responsible will have the courage to come out in the open
and clear the air.
"I am taking this matter seriously as it affects my livelihood and I
will go to any length to clear my name," said Bucs.
(END)

No comments: