Friday, December 19, 1997

Thanks for the favour (The Malay Mail)


PAHANG'S Danish coach Jorgen Larsen attributes his present position to
former Kedah FA deputy president and team manager Datuk Ahmad Basri Akil.
Larsen, 52, believes it was Ahmad Basri who had given his name to Pahang
FA president Tengku Mahkota Tengku Abdullah.
"I met Ahmad Basri when the Kedah team went to Qatar last year for their
pre-season matches," said Larsen.
"He made me an offer but I was with the Qatar national team then.
"But he told me to get in touch with him when I had finished my stint
with Qatar.
"I was in Phuket last year after my stint with Qatar and had called
Ahmad Basri from there.
"He insisted I go to Kedah and after much persuasion, decided on a trip
to Penang for a short holiday.
"From Penang, I went to Alor Star, where I watched my first M-League
match between Kedah and Penang.
"Ahmad Basri asked me to get in touch with him at the end of the season
but before I could do so, I got a call from Pahang.
"I was really surprised and did not even know where Pahang was.

Bonus
"I have always been interested in ending my coaching career in the Far
East and when Pahang got in touch with me, I decided to give it a shot.
"Till today, I believe it was Ahmad Basri who gave my name because I
checked with my agent in England and they did not know anything about it.
"I am indeed grateful to Ahmad Basri."
Kedah's loss is indeed Pahang's gain.
Ahmad Basri did not get the opportunity to hire Larsen because he was
out of the Kedah FA setup at the end of last season.
Larsen has a two-year contract with Pahang FA and all indications are
that he will see it through.
He has proven to be a good coach, having steered a relatively young and
inexperienced Pahang team to the Malaysia Cup final.
But like most foreign professional coaches, Larsen is still not totally
satisfied with the management aspect of the team, which he intends to sort
out before continuing his services.
On Wednesday, he received an irresistibly good offer from Egyptbut
Larsen said he not only works for money, but also job satisfaction.
"I have a good team in Pahang and I like it here very much. I want to
continue with them but need to sort out a few grey areas.
"I will only contemplate to move if I fail to settle some matters."
But for now, he has only one thing in mind - to steer underdogs Pahang
to victory in tomorrow's Malaysia Cup final.
Besides a personal achievement, Larsen also stands to get a handsome
bonus if they do win.
Unlike the players, Larsen did not get any bonus this season. His
contract stipulates e is only entitled to it if Pahang win anyone of the
trophies, be it the FA Cup, League Cup or Malaysia Cup.
However, if Pahang do not win tomorrow, he will not receive a sen.
The players have already received RM7,000 for qualifying for the
Malaysia Cup and another RM6,000 for reaching the final, which was paid on
Wednesday night at a dinner in Kuantan.
Larsen has no qualms about the deal because he believes the bonus is
seen as a reward for the team's success.
Not many coaches would take a deal or challenge like Larsen, but he has
proven to be a true professional who only strives for excellence.
(END)

No comments: