Monday, October 31, 2022

TENGKU NASRUL EYEING HIS FIRST GOAL

TENGKU NASRUL ON A MISSION

The last ten months has been full of surprises for forward Tengku Nasrul Ikmal Hakimie Tengku Abdul Rahim, but is looking forward to a bigger surprise in the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup Men’s International tournament starting in Ipoh tomorrow.

The 21-year-old well built lad from Pekan, Pahang has just be named in the squad of 18 for the tournament to make his international debut in a tournament together with two other youngsters, defenders Amirul Azahar (22 years-old) and Syafiq Rahman (23 years-old.

While Tengku Nasrul has a cap under his belt when he was fielded for 27 minutes in the Test match against Australia in Perth in May and Syafiq has 2 caps, Amirul when he takes the field will be making his international debut.

But the attention will probably focus on Tengku Nasrul because his will be rise from zero to hero.

Tengku Nasrul who was spotted national coach A. Arul Selvaraj but chance has been a revelation.

Arul found Tengku Nasrul when he went for a friendly match Pahang were playing as a warm-up for the Razak Cup tournament last year.

“I saw what I liked in Tengku Nasrul, quick, had pace and above reacted fast in the friendly match,” said Arul.

“I then approached his team coach - Sufian Mohd - to get his number and called him later to ask him if he was interested to have an attachment with the national team and also spoke to his father to allow him to join the national team for attachment.

“While Tengku Nasrul was surprised with the offer, his father surrendered his son to me to see how best I can work with his son.

“He was with the national team on attachment for five months and worked very hard and impressed me enough to include him for the Perth tour where he made his debut against Australia for 27 minutes.

“ Rest was history as I also included him for the European tour where in the four friendly matches he played against Belgium and France for a total of 97 minutes.

“And from his performances so far, his work ethnics, his improvement from day to day and above all his speed, power and ability to think fast and react in game situations, has earned him a place for the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup.

“I like to throw players who show potential into the deep end for international exposure and I believe that Tengku Nasrul will stand out.”

Tengku himself was surprised with his progress with the national team but grateful that he has impressed coach Arul to have faith him.

“It is like a dream come true. One minute was playing youth level hockey at the state level and next here I am with the national team in ten months,” said Tengku Nasrul who started playing the game when he was in Standard 4 with his school team - SRJK Sri Biram in Pekan.

“I made a choice from the three sports I was interested in - handball, football and hockey,” said Tengku Nasrul who stands 1.75m in a solid frame of 70kg.

“I felt that it was hockey that I could go far and I am glad that I made the right decision,” said Tengku Nasrul whom Arul arranged to play for TNB in this year’s Malaysian Hockey League.

Tengku Nasrul was later transferred to the Sports School Seberang Termeloh where he played in the KPM Under-14 league and in another Under-14 league at Bukit Jalil. He later joined Academy Hockey Pekan and progressed to the Razak Cup team.

 “I always had to work harder with the national team because there were many more experienced and talented players than me.”

Indeed his hard work, right attitude and discipline has got him this far in a short spell.

Tengku Nasrul said his next goal besides wanting to be a permanent feature in the national team, he wants to score his first goal with the national team.

 “I played five times with the national team, but have not scored,” revealed Tengku Nasrul who played as a midfielder but has been converted to a striker by Arul.

 “I am enjoying my role as a striker and am looking forward to scoring my first goal when we play Korea in our opening game. That would make a grand entry for me in an international tournament.

“But I am not going to be obsessed to score because what matters is that we carry our respective roles well and plays as a unit and get the desired result.”

 Tengku Nasrul is indeed on the right track with his right approach and attitude and it will come as little surprise he is set to hog the limelight in the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup and beyond.


The national team doing their stretching exercises this morning at the Hotel swimming pool under the watchful eyes of Physical trainer Thomas Drowley

 Ends.

No comments: