Monday, January 25, 1999

Passion after the pain (The Malay Mail)


LEAVING Kuala Lumpur hurt K. Ramachandran but the defender is looking
forward to a whole new life with Pahang.
Ramachandran, 26, came through the KL development programme to skipper
the M-League side.
But after six years, the former international fell out of favour with
coach Mat Zan Mat Aris last season. He was not among the five senior
players recommended to be retained for this season.
And when the Pahang offer came, Ramachandran took it.
"It was a difficult decision because all my playing career has been with
KL," said Ramachandran, who moved to KL from Taiping.
"I put in 10 years and felt I still had a few more years of good soccer
to give KL.
"So, I was really disheartened when there was no place for me in the
team.
"I am grateful to Pahang for giving me this opportunity."
It was Pahang's assistant coach, Fuzzemi Ibrahim, who asked Ramachandran
to attend trials with them last month.
After watching him for a week, Pahang agreed to take him on.
Ramachandran signed with Pahang at the beginning of this month after his
contract with KLFA expired on Dec 31.
"It is a new challenge for me and I am taking it seriously.
"I am flattered Pahang want me and I am determined to repay their
confidence in me.
"There won't be that familiar feeling and I will work hard to adapt to
all the changes," said Ramachandran.
Ramachandran is looking forward to his first session with Pahang's new
coach Alan Davidson.
"I played against him several seasons ago and now he will be coaching
me.
"It's exciting as I have always admired Alan as a defender and I am sure
he will help make me a better player," said Ramachandran.
Davidson played for Pahang in the M-League from 1991 to 1996.
Ramachandran will also be seeing changes in his personal life.
He is getting married to Seetha on Feb 7 in Kuala Lumpur.
Ramachandran will be back in training for the new season after a short
break.
(END)

No comments: