Wednesday, January 15, 1997

Simply delighted (The Malay Mail)


I WAS just informed this evening (yesterday) that I am Selangor's coach
for the new season and I am delighted.
It has been a long wait for the final appointment but is indeed worth
it.
I was indeed looking forward to coaching a team like Selangor, who are
certainly a big club in Malaysia and with teremendous potential to become
one of the best in the region.
I am indeed grateful to the Selangor management team who have placed
their faith and confidence in me and it is now my duty to repay their
faith.
I intend to work very hard to ensure Selangor, who have a great
following, become a better a team.
However, I don't intend to set targets because that will only put
pressure on the team and me.
Besides, as the best team in Malaysia, there is already enough pressure
to ward off the desire of others teams to topple us.
Then, as Malaysia Cup champions, every team will be going for our scalp.
I expect a tough season ahead, especially with the general standard of
the game in Malaysia improving with each passing year.
It is best to take each match or competition as it comes.
However, after watching the Malaysia Cup final on Dec 28 at Shah Alam, I
intend to see Selangor play many, many more matches under the same
competitive atmosphere.
I see great potential in Selangor and I am honoured to be given an
opportunity to work with the best team in the country.
Selangor have a great following and I certainly don't want to disappoint
the fans.
We will all have to work as a team - from the players, officials,
coaches to the fans.
What I saw of Selangor in the Malaysia Cup final has certainly given me
great confidence that this team is destined for many more good things.
In that Cup final, the Selangor went all out but were quite unlucky.
But they did not allow that to destroy their hopes and worked hard for
glory.
I believe although sometimes luck may not be on one's side, it can
always be turned around with determination and hardwork.
That Selangor certainly did on Cup final night and that is a quality I
look for in a team.
I believe the players and I will have a good working relationship.
Selangor have many talented and calibre players and my challenge is to
come up with a good system to utilise that asset to the fullest.
Tony Cottee is a prized possession of the team and I am glad to have him
with us.
I have played against him many times and he is indeed a great player.
He can be marked out of a match for 89 minutes but one moment of
brilliance is all he needs to score.
He is very dangerous in the 18-yard box and our opponents are indeed
going to have problems handling him.
But Cottee is also human.
He needs time to settle in with the team and I hope the fans will give
him the time and be patient with him.
I can't wait to see more nights like the Dec 28 night and I believe,
together we can make it happen.

THE STEVE WICKS FILE

PERSONAL
Name: Stephen John Wicks.
Date of Birth: 13 October 1956.
Nationality: English.
Marital Status: Married.
Children: Three Boys aged 17, 13 and 1 1/2 years. One Girl aged 3.

PLAYING CAREER
Chelsea FC: 1971-75 and 1986-88 - 324 League Games.
Derby County: 1975-76 - 46 League Games.
QPR: 1976-79: 1980-86 - 257 League Games.
Crystal Palace: 1979-80 - 31 League Games.

HONOURS
England Team - 2 full Caps, 4 B Caps.
1975 - Winners Medal, European Youth Championships.
1979 - Winners Medal, European Under-21 Championship.
1982 - Spain World Cup (England Squad).
- Mexico 1986.
1975 - English Div 1 Championships with Chelsea FC.
1981 - English FA Cup Runnersup with QPR.
1982 - English Div 1 Champions with QPR.
1986 - English League Cup Runnersup with QPR.

COACHING CAREER
1989-92 - Asst Manager, Portsmouth FC.
1992-94 - Manager of Scaborough FC.
1994- Manager of Lincoln City.
1995- Chief Scout of Newcastle United.
1996- Coach, Woodlands Wellington FC, Singapore.
(END)

No comments: