Wednesday, December 4, 1996

Any takers for Trev? (The Malay Mail)


FORMER national coach Trevor Hartley is keen on working in Malaysia again.
The 49-year-old Londoner, who was in Singapore for a week to conduct
preliminary coaching courses for school teachers, said he will definitely
consider offers to work in Malaysia.
"Although I prefer to come back to Malaysia as a Director of Coaching or
Technical Director at the State or national level, I don't mind coaching
teams in the M-League," said Hartley.
Hartley coached the Malaysian team for a year in 1989 and took them to
the Sea Games gold. Under him, Malaysia were second behind South Korea in
the pre-World Cup that year.
But his contract was not extended by the FA of Malaysia who said there
were not many assignments for the national team at that time.
Though there were the Beijing Asian Games in 1990 and the Manila Sea
Games in 1991, the FA of Malaysia obviously felt those were not close
enough.
"I am open to offers and discussions. It has been a long time since I
set foot in Malaysia. I have always kept an open mind about Malaysia.
"After my contract with the national team expired, Pahang showed
interest in me. But I found it a little hard to believe because it was the
same people from Pahang in the FA of Malaysia, who did not renew my
contract.
"I let that one go. But now, I am keen to get back to Malaysia."
Perhaps Hartley should have been retained by FAM.
Afterall, he was Singapore's Director of Coaching for four years in the
late 70s and is well versed with soccer in these parts of the world.
Hartley also worked with David Pleat at Tottenham Hotspur from May 1986
to October 1987.
Hartley now conducts coaching clinics in England and does specific work
with various clubs on a short term basis.
With several State FAs on the lookout for foreign coaches for next
season, Hartley might be back here again.
(END)

No comments: