Tuesday, August 17, 1993

Yes, that's our girl


MALAYSIA'S Jayanthi Palaniappan set a national record although outclassed
in the women's 3,000m heats in the World championships in Stuggart on
Saturday night.
Jayanthi finished third last in 9:18.42 in a pool of 16 in the first of
three heats won by China's Zhang Linli in 8:48.85.
Jayanthi also had for company England's Yvonne Murray, who finished
second in 8:51.30. She is ranked fourth by IAAF.
Another notable athlete in the heat was Russia's Yelena Romanova who
finished third in 8:54.81.
Said Jayanthi after the race: "I've achieved what I had set out to do
here and I'm indeed elated. In fact, I have surpassed my target as I hoped
to clock around 9:20.22.
"I pushed myself against the strong field and although I could not keep
up, I could not have asked for a better timing."
Jayanthi clocked 9:32.00 in a warm-up race in Weinstad last week.
She said the race was an experience of a life time.
"The athletes here are several classes above us. If I can race with them
more often I am sure I will improve further."
Jayanthi is hoping to do better in the 10,000m on Aug 19.
The Maybank officer, who also holds the national 10,000m record with a
time of 35:37.21, is hoping to dip 35mins.
"My performance in the 3,000m has boosted my confidence. I am looking
forward to the coming race which is my pet event."
Indeed, it was proud day for her.
In the Sea Games at Singapore last June, she won gold medals in the
3,000m and 10,000m. She is moving towards her ambition of being an Asian
class athlete instead of being contented with Sea Games glory.

No comments: