A great deal to think about and debate, but at the end of day, despite Malaysian sports having moved with times to be specialised and keeping up with the professional era, the desired result is still under achieved.
It is about time a majority of our Malaysian sports athletes step up and excel at the highest level instead of being contended with results at the lowest level of competition at regional level.
With the kind money allocated towards sports, the facilities and experts at hand, athletes should be aiming to be best in Asia and be able to compete against the world’s best.
Among those who have excelled as double and in some cases as treble internationals, include the likes of:
- Tunku Imran Ja'afar (cricket and squash)
· Late Chua Eng Cheng (cricket and hockey)
· Late Mike Shepherdson (cricket and hockey)
· Mary Lim (hockey and football)
· Leong Wai Tat (swimming and water polo)
· Wong Koo Ching (swimming and water polo)
· Late Fong Siow San (swimming and water polo)
· Late Fong Siow Jit (swimming and water polo)
· Late Rosli Abdul Kadir (cycling, athletics – walking)
· Kimberly Yap (cycling, swimming and triathlon)
· Yap Siew Bee(hockey and athletics)
· K. Maheswari ((hockey and athletics)
· G. Shanti (hockey and athletics)
· Daphne Boudeville (hockey and football)
· Savitri Ovinis (hockey and athletics)
· Tam Chiew Seng (hockey and cricket)
· V Kalimutu ( hockey and football)
· Karu Selvaratnam (cricket and athletics)
· Ahmad Sofian (hockey football)
· Tan Yee Khan (badminton and golf)
· Ng Boon Bee(badminton, football, rugby)
· Shepherdson, (hockey and cricket).
· Chow Chew Keong (football and golf)
· Wong Hung Nung (football and golf)