Sunday, January 17, 2010

Patience pay dividends for Aris and Kar Yen

Patience and persistence was the key word in both the Boys and Girls Open Masters winners, Sarawak’s Aris Ardila Santosoh  and Kuala Lumpur’s Hee Kar Yen.

Aris member of the national youth team, finally earned Sarawak’s first gold medal in the week after the State could only win four silvers and three bronze in the Interstate championship.
Aris’ winning effort saw him score 2675 over 12 games for an average of 222, while second placed, another national youth bowler, Mohd Haziq had a total of 2570, while Johor’s Chan Wei Seng and Sarawak’s Chong Jun Foo tied for third with their total of 2499 to finish.

For Kar Yen, it was her first individual title since she won the Malaysian Open youth title two years ago, which earned her place in the National Youth team.
Kar Yen won the title with a total score of 2632, while Negri Sembilan’s Hurul Ainul Abdul Razak was second with 2604, while Adlin Nadhirah also from Negri was placed third with her total of 2555.

As for Aris, who had won RM50,000 for his perfect game in the All-Stars International Junior championship last month, winning the gold medal yesterday was filled with mixed feelings for him.
“I am very glad that I finally have won Sarawak the elusive gold medal after a week’s competition,” said Aris.
“It is also great to have won finally in my fifth competition in a month,” said Aris who finished third in the All Stars Junior and then competed in the All Star Classics, Penang Pesta and the Interstate.
In the Interstate, Aris won silver in the doubles.
“But at the same time I am sad that I had failed to make the cut for the Men Open in the national championship. I wanted so much to make the cut and bowl against all the elite bowlers, for it will be a valuable experience for me and to gauge where I stand against them.
“I suppose I will just have to wait for another opportunity,” said Aris who has a bright chance of a promotion from the national-youth squad to the back-up squad.
On his performance yesterday, Aris thanked national bowler, Zulmazran Zuliklfi who guided him and gave him moral support.
Kar Yen on the other hand, was simply delighted with her victory because it ended a two-year wait.
“When I joined the National Youth team after my Malaysian Open Youth category victory, I changed my game in many ways to bowl better under coach Allan Chia,” said Kar Yen who will turn 19 on Oct 4.
“Many things were new to me and it took time for me to readjust. Sometime, it got frustrating not being able to win anything, but I persisted to train even harder.
“I am glad that finally all my hardwork has paid dividends after some many close calls,” said the Pre-University student of Bukit Jalil Sports School.
Kar Yen now hopes to win an international title if she gets an opportunity to compete.
Meanwhile, Selangor’s 15-year Muhamad Aizudeen Mustaqim who had failed to win any medals in the Interstate and then failed to make the Youth Masters, decided to bowl in the Men’s Graded Masters and won it.
He had 2157 to beat Negri Sembilan’s Noor Afizal Azizan who had 2143 and former national bowler from Selangor, Azidi Ameran who had a total of 2113.
In the Ladies Graded, Kuala Lumpur’s Nur UmirahAbdul Raduan who won the Interstate Girls doubles and silver in the All-events, went win her second gold medal this week with her 2130 score.
Selangor’s Natasha Roslan finished second with her total of 2038, while KL’s Sukma trainee, Yap Wi Yin, was third with 2000.

No comments: