Monday, December 14, 2009

Qayyum shuts out the Singaporeans

Negri Sembilan’s Mohd Qayyum Zahari Azar, had one too many reasons to psyche himself to win the Boys 12 and Under Masters title yesterday morning in the 10th Milo International Junior All-Stars Bowling Championship at the Sunway Mega Lanes.


Heading the list that got him all fired up to wrest the title, was the domination of Singapore bowlers (eleven out of the 18 who qualified) in the Masters.


The 12-year-old student of King George V school in Seremban, wanted to end his year with a bang after having a good run in several tournaments throughout the year.


In addition, probably the most important reason why he wanted to win the title was to console him for not doing as well as expected in the UPSR examinations.



“I have had a good run this year, but had to spend quite a bit of time in training and competitions, that it affected my studies a little,” said the stout well built Qayyum who stands 1.5m in a frame of 60kg.


(From left) Muhd Rafiq Ismail, Muhd Qayyum, Chong Tai Wei and national coach Holloway Cheah.


“My parents have been very supportive of me bowling which I took up seven years ago. However, at the same time, they have emphasised that I do well in my studies. But I only got 2 As in my UPSR results which was released last month and I was disappointed,” said Qayyum who got As for Mathematics and Bahasa Malaysia.


“I had to show that although I did not do as well as I should have in my UPSR, I could do well in bowling to prove that the sacrifices made were worthwhile,” said Qayyum who is the Sportsexcel U-12 Grand Prix champion, besides winning three legs in the circuit – Pahang, Selangor and Kuala Lumpur.

Qayyum also won the bronze in the singles in the Malaysian Schools Sports Council (MSSM) bowling championship this year.


“Winning the title here today is like an icing to the cake to my overall performance this year. Last year, I did not win any titles at all,” said Qayyum who was competing in his first All-Stars championship.


“The presence Singaporean bowlers occupying 11 out 18 places in the Masters, further fueled me to do Malaysia proud,” said Qayyum who had 1,512 over eight games and an average of 189.

He had lines of 203, 176, 267, 169, 186, 171, 159 and 181.


Asked about his plans for next year, he said that he would be in a difficult position because he will be competing in Under-15 tournaments and it is going to be difficult to stamp his authority.


“But I am going to give my best shot. However, my priority is still to do well in my studies as I want to be a doctor or architect,” declared Qayyum.


The Malaysian youth bowlers indeed shut out the Singaporeans as Muhammad Rafiq Ismail from Kuala Lumpur too won the second spot with his 1,503. Singapore could only manage a third place through Chong Tai Wei who amassed 1,498.


In the Girls 12 and Under too, Malaysian bowlers did proud as Faten Najihah from Pahang took top spot with her total of 1,488 to deny Singapore’s Rena Ng Yan Lin the honour, who was 19 pins behind. Nur Amirah Auni from Penang won the third spot with her 1,388.


Faten, like Qayuum, also had competed in the Sportsexcel circuit where she had won two legs, but finished eighth in the Grand Finals.


This morning the Boys and Girls 15 and Under Masters final will be played.


RESULTS:


Boys 12 & Under: 1. Muhammad Qayyum Zahari Azar – 1512 (NS); 2. Muhammad Radiq Ismail – 1503 (KL); 3. Chong Tai Wei – 1498 (Spore)


Girls 12 & Under: 1. Faten Najihah – 1488 (Pah); 2. Rena Ng Yan Lin – 1469 (Spore); 3. Nur Amirah Auni – 1388 (Pen)


No comments: