Sunday, November 15, 2009

New Mum Tennelle sets eyes on the title

Tennelle Milligan simply has one too many reasons to wrest the QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup, which United States of America lost their stronghold last year.


USA has won the women’s title on eight occasions and had won on three consecutive years from 2004 to 2006. The last two years saw their stronghold broken with Australia’s Ann Maree Putney winning it in 2007 and Singapore’s Jasmine Yeong-Nathan winning it last year.


However, more than that reason, 32-year-old Milligan, returns after having a baby only four months ago and that is indeed a feat by itself.


Milligan delivered her first baby, Abigail on July 29, after being married for nine years, and is hoping that her daughter will be the lucky charm.


AMERICAN HOPES....Tennelle with Walter Ray

“I have my daughter’s photographer in my wallet and bowling bag. I am dedicated this tournament to her, because she was my inspiration,” said the bubbly Milligan.


“Soon after I gave birth to Abigail, I was back in training and had her with me at trainings.


“When I was selected for this championship, it was most rewarding.


“Now I want to go a step further to do well here. I simply have one too many reasons to do well here.”


“For starters this is my first time I am coming to Malaysia and I want to return with memorable memories with a good outing.


“I also want to see USA regain their stronghold in the championship. I have also missed out a few opportunities to represent USA because of my pregnancy and I want to make for lost time.


“Above all, I want to do well for Abigail who is not with me here.”

Milligan, a four-time member of the Team USA has won nearly two dozen medals including three silvers and two bronzes in the 2007 Women’s World Championship.


Despite just returning to the game, Milligan looks fit and ready.


“I have been working very hard to get back to shape and bowl well too. And nothing will be sweeter than a good performance here.”


However, Milligan was quick to add that she was not writing out the other bowlers.


“I am fully aware that there is a string of excellent bowlers who are capable of winning the title here. All I am saying is that I am going to work very hard to give a good performance here.


“And I have more than enough reasons to motivate myself to do that. I just hope that my performance here will be good enough to see me reach the last eight first. I will then take game from game then on.”


Indeed, will have some stiff competition from the like of 2007 champion Ann-Maree Putney of Australia,. Indonesia, Putty Armein, Philippines’ Lisa del Rosario, Sweden’s Helen Johnson, Denmark’s Laura Rhoney, Germany’s Tina Hulch, England’s Zara Giles, Belgium’s Caroline Lagrange and Finland’s Reija Lunden to name a few.


It is indeed going to be an uphill battle for Milligan, but with all the reasons behind her to perform well, she certainly well psyched up the championship.


No comments: