Wednesday, March 17, 1999

Davidson quits! (The Malay Mail)


resignation of Australian coach Alan Davidson.
Davidson disclosed to Mailsport last night that he could no longer
continue with the East Coast giants due to personal problems back home in
Melbourne.
With four days to go before their Premier One opener against Sarawak in
Kuching, Davidson's departure has left the Elephants in the lurch as they
have been following his training programme for the past two months.
Despite reports of unhappiness among the players with his strict regime,
there had been no indication whatsoever that Davidson would quit.
Davidson, 39 in June, had even travelled to Ipoh on Monday to attend the
M-League coaches and managers' seminar chaired by FAM deputy president,
the Tengku Mahkota of Pahang.
Davidson, who served Pahang well as a player from 1995-96, said parting
company with the Elephants had been one of the most difficult decisions of
his life.
"But I have no choice as the problems back home are really pressing and
need my urgent attention. It's all very personal and I can't really talk
about it," said Davidson without wanting to go into details.
"I have already informed Pahang FA secretary Ahmad Fuad Daud of my
decision.
"He wanted to help me work something out which would enable me to stay
on but I had to turn him down.
"This is something I have to attend to personally. No one can help me
with it.
"I'm very disappointed as I was looking forward to the M-League
challenge. It is even more upsetting when I have to leave just before the
season opens."
Davidson said he had tried to reach Pahang FA president Tengku Abdullah
Sultan Ahmad Shah but had been unable to do so.
"But I will definitely be meeting the Tengku Mahkota soon to explain my
predicament."
Asked if there was any possibility of him returning to Pahang later in
the season, Davidson said: "It is very unlikely. I am leaving the team
when the season is about to start and it will not be fair to return
later."
Davidson arrived in Kuantan in late January and his family were to have
joined him later.
Fuzzemi Ibrahim, who has been assisting Davidson, is expected to be
appointed caretaker coach or even take full charge.
While Davidson cited personal problems for leaving Pahang, one wonders
if there is more to it, like interference from officials or that he could
not stomach the amateurish acts of team management that is common in
Malaysian soccer.
Davidson is known to be very professional in his ways and brooks no
nonsense. It would come as no surprise if he was disillusioned with what
he has had to deal with in Kuantan.
(END)

No comments: