Thursday, January 21, 1999

Raja: Arrangement fine by me (The Malay Mail)

CARETAKER coach K. Rajagopal is prepared for the eventuality he may not
get to handle Selangor this season.
And he is not disturbed by news that the Red Giants may sign an English
coach.
The FA of Selangor have plans to let an Englishman take charge of the
team for three weeks at the end of the month and possibly make him their
coach.
Selangor team manager Datuk Mokhtar Ahmad announced on Tuesday a former
England international who has coached in the English Premier League and
Div 1 will be at Shah Alam.
Although Mokhtar did not reveal his name, it has been speculated the
coach is former Nottingham Forest and England striker Trevor Francis.
Rajagopal said yesterday: "I was fully aware of it when I agreed to be
an interim coach."
He said the understanding was he would be the acting coach for two
months first.
"My two-month contract with FAS ends on Feb 28," said Rajagopal whose
last involvement with Selangor at senior level was as assistant to Ken
Worden in 1995.
"Under the contract, I am to be informed of my position at the end of
next month. I could be offered the post of coach or assistant coach.
"I was also told the Raja Muda of Selangor was keen to have a foreign
coach. I am prepared to work under a foreign coach and hopefully learn
from him.
"I have also told FAS I am ready for the M-League and there have been
offers to coach other teams," said Rajagopal who attained his FAM A
Licence in 1992 and last year earned a German `A' Coaching Licence.
"If Selangor feel they need a foreign coach, I can deal with that. But
if they ask me to handle the team, I am also prepared for it.
"I just want to contribute to Selangor," said Rajagopal who has five
Malaysia Cup winners medals with Selangor from 1978-1984.
Rajagopal, who coached the Selangor Reserve League team the past three
years, said the M-League side will resume training tomorrow and play a
friendly against the national team.
(END)

No comments: