Friday, January 23, 1998

Nomad Tan seeking a break (The Malay Mail)


NEW Kuala Lumpur signing Tan Cheng Hoe is on a mission to resurrect his
soccer career.
Cheng Hoe, who hails from Alor Star, has been a nomad of the M-League
the past four years since injuring his right knee while with Kedah in
1993.
He in fact sufferred the injury in 1991 but continued playing until it
took a turn for the worse in 1993.
He went for an operation that year but was relegated to the Kedah back-
up team, Langkasuka, who played in the Amateur League for two years (1994
and 1995).
Cheng Hoe's desire to play in the M-League saw him join Perlis in 1996
but he did not see much action.
Frustrated, the 29-year-old moved over to Penang last season but here
too he did not get to play regularly.
It was then that he decided to try his luck with KL this season and
coach Chow Kwai Lam was impressed enough to give him a one-year contract.
"The last four years have been really frustrating for me as I had to
move from team to team," said Cheng Hoe, who is basically a rightback also
plays in midfield.
"My best years were under former Kedah coach Milous Kvacek from 1989 to
1990 as I was a regular and played in two Malaysia Cup finals. I collected
a winners' medal in 1990 when we beat Singapore.
"I want to hit that form again and I believe I have what it takes. And I
have recovered from my injury. All I need is regular matches to regain my
confidence.
"I worked very hard but did not get the opportunity to play regularly.
"I hope things will change with KL although I realise the competition
for a first choice slot is stiff.
"But I am prepared for the challenge. I see my stint with KL as a last
chance to redeem myself and end my career on a high note," said Cheng Hoe
who played for the national second team in two tournaments - in Bangkok
(1988) and Nepal (1991).
(END)

No comments: