Thursday, January 1, 1998

Don't insult me (The Malay Mail)


SCOTT Ollerenshaw is not amused that his previous exploits with Sabah all
count for nothing as 1997 came to an end.
Ollerenshaw, who won the M-League's Golden Boot Award in 1995 and 1996,
has been told by the Sabah FA to attend trials if he wants to continue
playing for the Rhinos.
The Sabah FA condition came after Ollerenshaw, who is married to former
national karate exponent and Sabahan Michelle Koh, parted company with
them in his mission to play for Australia in the World Cup.
Ollerenshaw, who turns 30 on Feb 9, said yesterday in Sydney he felt
hurt that after four years of service with Sabah, he had to attend trials
if he wished to play for them again.
He said he wants to explain to the fans of Sabah his exit from Kota
Kinabalu because they have been great to him.
He does not want them to get the wrong picture of him walking out on
them.
"It is true that I asked to be released from Sabah at the end of
December although my contract runs until December 1998.
"The reason I wanted out was because I wanted to play for Australia in
the World Cup. I had written to the Sabah FA requesting for an early
release and they duly replied saying my request has been granted but that
my contract would end in November 1997.
"I then found out that Terry Venables has already named a squad of 26
and, even if Australia qualified for the World Cup, he will not be calling
up any more players apart from those named earlier.
"Australia also failed to qualify and I wrote back to the Sabah FA
offering to continue my services following the turn of events.
"They wrote back saying that they are sticking with their earlier
decision to release me. However, they added that if I still wanted to play
for Sabah, I could attend trials.
"I was really hurt by this statement because after four years of playing
for Sabah, they still do not know want I can offer. I really don't know
what to say.
"I respect their decision not to re-engage me but to ask me to attend
trials was certainly not necessary. They could have just told me they do
not need my services anymore," said Ollerenshaw.
Ollerenshaw said he will seek the help of the FA of Malaysia in getting
his December salary as his contract covered the 12 months of 1997.
"I hope the fans can now understand why I will not be playing for Sabah
in the new season," said Ollerenshaw, who made it known that he is still
very keen to continue playing in the M-League.
"I am now a free agent as Sabah have released me. I want to play for
another team.
"I have been offered by a team in Singapore, but I prefer the M-League
and I hope some of the teams are interested in me."
Ollerenshaw said he would like to play for Negri Sembilan as he sees the
Deer as a good side and have the potential to do well.
"I want to play for the team and win something for them. I also want a
new challenge and I see Negri as having the potential of winning something
but they will have to work hard for it and I want to be a part of it."
On reports that he and fellow Sabah teammate Seslija Milomir have been
offered a package deal to play for a certain team, Ollerenshaw said he is
not aware of it because he has not been in touch with Milomir.
(END)

No comments: